On September 16, 1940, FDR signed the “Selective Service and Training Act” which established the first peacetime draft in US history. Then, in November of 1940, workers broke ground on Camp Wolters just outside Mineral Wells, Texas. It would be the largest of four Infantry Replacement Training Centers in the US during WWII.
When construction was completed in March of 1941, the camp could accommodate over 20,000 soldiers at any given time. Many of the newly enlisted men that arrived in Mineral Wells in the spring and summer of 1941 were some of the country’s first WWII draftees.
Weatherford native General William Hood Simpson arrived in April 1941 and served as the Commanding Officer of Camp Wolters until October. He and his wife actually lived at The Baker Hotel in downtown Mineral Wells during their seven month stay. Later, in 1945, General Simpson would famously lead the US 9th Army across the Rhine and into Germany.
An original fact sheet about Camp Wolters from the Mineral Wells Chamber of Commerce is below: